Cold and Flu
: Health Tip: Taking Care of Someone With Flu
Posted December 31, 2014
(HealthDay News) -- When you're caring for a loved one with the flu, it's important to protect yourself from getting sick.
The flu.gov website suggests:
- Create a sick room to help isolate the sick person.
- Frequently wash hands with soap and water or alcohol-based hand sanitizer, particularly after contact with the sick person or something the sick person has touched.
- Encourage the sick person to cover the mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing, and to frequently wash hands.
- Limit caregiving to one person in the home to reduce exposure to other family members.
- If caring for a sick child, hold the child with the chin on your shoulder so the child doesn't cough into your face.
- Keep the home ventilated as possible.
- Keep surfaces disinfected and dispose of any tissues. Wash linens, dishes and eating utensils thoroughly.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2014 HealthDay
. All rights reserved.